A- A A+

The Bell Tower

Bell Tower Information
All Saints' has a Ring of Six Bells, tenor 46 inches diameter, in E,  and a Sanctus Bell.

The inscriptions on the treble, fifth, tenor, and sanctus bells occur in each instance immediately above the sound bow. Below the shoulder of the treble is a series of twelve moulding wires and this bell appears to be the work of John Corr of Aldbourne. The bell has lost its canons and is now secured to the headstock by means of bolts passing through holes drilled in its crown.

Bell

Inscription

Weight

 

 

cwt

qtr

lb

Treble

1741

5

1

0

Second

Francis Garrard 1677

6

2

0

Third

No Inscription

7

2

0

Fourth

Thomas Mears Founder London / THOs Palmer, Maidencourt 11/

W.17Henry Palm1er, East Garston Church Wardens 1842

8

0

0

Fifth

Edward : Read : Of : Aldbourne : Wilts : 1752

11

2

0

Tenor

Mr. William Palmore : Mr. William Ambrose : Church Wardens.

Robert Wells of Aldbourne Fouder Anno : Don : 1763

17

0

0

Sanctus

o (L) COR (L) 1727

1

0

0

The 2nd has a very high crown and on the evidence of its characteristics and lettering, must be assigned to H. & E. Knight. of Reading. It's probable that Francis Garrard was the donor. The 3rd is approximately the same age as the treble it has all the characteristics of an Aldbourne bell. and below its shoulder is a series of twenty-four moulding wires. This bell and the 2nd have been quarter-turned.

image of bell in bell tower image of bell in bell tower image of bell in bell tower

There is no record of the predecessor of the present fourth. which was cast at the Whitechapel foundry in 1842. The 5th has a series of ten moulding wires below the shoulder. and the tenor has five large ones in the same position. Both are products of the Aldbourne Foundry. The 5th was cast by Edward Read. and the tenor is by Robert Wells who succeeded Read in or about the year 1760. Only one bell of an earlier date to that the East Garston tenor is known by him. It is at Hemington. Somerset, and is dated 1760.

image of bell in bell tower image of bell in bell tower image of bell in bell tower

The sanctus. which is fitted with an elm headstock, drive-in type gudgeons and brass bearings. is hung for chiming only and is swung by means of a lever attached to its headstock. It has three moulding wires on its shoulder, and is the work of Oliver Corr, of Aldbourne. 1727.

The six largest bells hang in an oak frame of eighteenth century date constructed so that all the bells swing east-and west. They are hung to swing mouth-to-mouth in three pairs : the treble and tenor on the north side of the tower the 3rd and 4th on the South side, and the 2nd and 5th in the centre. It is an unusual type of frame. but one sometimes used in the 18th century. The bells were fitted with new elm headstocks, hoop gudgeons, brass bearings. traditional type wheels and fittings, late in the 19th century by Mr. Frederick White. of Appleton.